Saturday, July 9, 2016

Media Ecology and Learning Case-Interview with a Young Person

The following is my interview with my niece, "Lynn"

1. Do you have a computer/iPod/MP3 player/Wii/etc?
  • I have a phone, an iPod, and a tablet

2. What kinds of things do you use the computer/phone/iPad for?
  • I use my tablet for Facebook and to message my friends

3. What is your favorite thing to do on the computer?
  • To check Facebook

4. How did you learn to do that?
  • I learned by watching my mom check her Facebook

5. What are some other things you use the computer for?
  • To check Instagram and keep contact with my friends

6. What is your favorite game? Why?
  • I like to play Crossyroad because it entertains me

7. Do you know other people who do this?
  • Yes I do

8.  How do you use the computer at school?
  • I use it to complete my classwork and homework assignments

9.  How would you like to use the computer at school?
  • I would like to be able to check Facebook and Instagram and download my own apps.

10.  Do you think teachers would let you use the computers to do those things?  Why or why not?
  • No because they are too strict

11.  Anything else you would like to tell me?
  • School needs to stop assigning so much homework on the iPads and computers because a lot of students do not have Internet connection at their houses.
Possible Quotes from the Readings:
"It is becoming increasingly clear that online social networking has become embedded in many people's offline lives across the world; while it is clear that many people learn the necessary skills to participate without tuition, there are implications for teachers in all this." (Davies, p.29).

"Crucially, even for youngsters with technological access, their activities may be constrained by social goals as well as limitation in terms of their technology skills, or in their ability to see the possibilities available to them in different online spaces." (Davies, p.33).

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure where these quotes are, but I'm going to give you the ideas from the readings. Most of mine come from Deconstructing Digital Natives.

    Question #1: Very "Mobile" society. Look what they are using.

    Question #5: social networking – keeping in contact with my friends.

    Question #8: not very descriptive, so it looks like teachers aren't really using innovative ways to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your niece's interview made me think that she may really love the chance to record her assignments from school on a blog. It would provide a more "social" feel to her assignments at school because of being able to respond in the form of a comment! I really like your last quote and its possible applications to our assignment...my interviewee also listed limited classroom opportunity and was had a high use of technology for socialization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most young people have multiple devices to access the internet. I think that very few use actual desktop or laptop computers. I feel that everywhere you look, you see them with tablets and cell phones and that is what they use to satisfy all their digital needs. Most students would love to be able to access their social networking sites and use the school networks for more personal use. Unfortunately, if they school networks allowed this, most students would be on their devices for personal reasons and not learning. It is hard enough to keep them focused on what they need to learn without the distraction of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised by her response that school needs to stop assigning homework through computers and iPads because many students do not have access to these. She must personally know someone or several peers that struggle with this. I agree that you can't expect students to use these at home. That time should be set aside during school for that access. Or perhaps after school the lab could be open for students until a certain time. What about the public library?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your interviewee's note about lack of access reminded me of this quote from our current textbook "Who has responsibility for ensuring that the participation gap does not widen?" Ch 1, Rebekah Willett, p. 20 on my Kindle edition. Lack of access at home is a big problem in the rural area where I teach, too. And even though I have "DSL" at home, it is so slow we can't watch videos or gifs-I have to drive a mile to the top of the next mountain and mobile hotspot myself for that. It's a pain.

    ReplyDelete